I officially joined a new group this week...Work-a-holics Anonymous. The reason why I know this is because I had a dream last night that I came home, opened the front door ran into my boyfriend who was leaving the house to go out on a date. I said, "Where are you going, I just got home?" And he said, "I've been waiting for you. We were supposed to have dinner together. You told me you were coming home at 8 p.m. and it's now 9:30. So, I'm going out with her." And he walks out the door with this blonde, hot, female attorney, who I actually had a meeting with earlier in the week!
Of course, I woke up, sweating from the rage, then grabbed my cell phone to check if I had any new messages -- at 3 a.m. I hypocritically mock people and their crack-berry's, and laugh at them when they do their "BlackBerry Prayer." But, then, I realized, OMG, I'm just like them!
I thought of a few symptoms of how to know when you're a work-a-holic. Unfortunately, if I knew the remedies...well, I wouldn't be writing this, now would I?!
1) When you start to have dreams about your significant other cheating on you because you're working too late.
(I'm really sorry to anyone who has actually experienced this in real life. My heart does go out to you.)
2) When you check your Inbox on your BlackBerry/iPhone/Treo at the dinner table.
(New Rule: No phones allowed at the dinner table...starting tomorrow!)
3) You don't use up all of your vacation days at work.
(H-E-L-L-O-OOOO! I need to learn that it's OK to take vacation and have a little R&R.)
4) Your health starts going downhill because you neglect YOU!
(When you can no longer fit into your size 6 dress -- it's time to leave work at least by 6 p.m., and get that fat ass on that treadmill.)
5) When you keep a separate set of a) make-up b) toothbrush c) underwear d) clothes and e) a sleeping bag at work.
(What?! No! Don't be ridiculous! I don't have this at work...but I have thought about it.)
6) When you start to call your family members by your co-worker's names.
(This is sad...very sad.)
7) You go into work on the weekends thinking that you'll catch-up before Monday or think that you'll get ahead.
(I'm a sucker for this...there's no such thing as "catching up with your work." It NEVER happens!!!)
8) Your social life is your workplace.
(Oh, the horror! If my co-workers became my "hang-out" friends...I'd seriously shoot myself.)
9) When all you talk about at the dinner table is work or your co-workers.
(All I have to say is "Thank you Jesus for the patient people in my life who have to listen to me.")
10) You forget to pick up your child from school or your dog at doggy day-care. (I'm already super forgetful. Add on the stress from work, and I will seriously be arrested for neglect.)